You must be 18 years old to volunteer, and there is a $30 fee for all volunteers. This is a donation to cover the costs of your volunteer t-shirt, your scheduling account, and goes straight to the animals you will be helping.
- 1 Where can I volunteer with animals in NYC?
- 2 How old do you have to be to volunteer at an animal shelter NYC?
- 3 Where can a 12 year old volunteer with animals?
- 4 How old must you be to volunteer at an animal shelter?
- 5 What is volunteering at an animal shelter like?
- 6 Can an 8 year old volunteer at an animal shelter?
- 7 How can I help animals in New York?
- 8 Can you volunteer at Petsmart?
- 9 How can I volunteer at an animal shelter?
- 10 How can kids get involved with animals?
- 11 Do volunteers get paid?
Where can I volunteer with animals in NYC?
Be an animal shelter volunteer
- Animal Care Centers of NYC. Want to volunteer as a dog, cat or rabbit companion, foster parent, or adoption counselor in every borough?
- Animal Haven.
- ASPCA Adoption Center.
- Brooklyn Animal Resource Coalition.
- Mayor’s Alliance for NYC’s Animals.
How old do you have to be to volunteer at an animal shelter NYC?
All prospective volunteers must be 18 years of age or older and must attend a Volunteer Orientation in order to learn about our organization and our Volunteer Program.
Where can a 12 year old volunteer with animals?
How can youth volunteer with animals?
- The Humane Society. To volunteer with the Humane Society you must be at least 12 years old.
- Best Friends Animal Society.
- Host a Donation Drive!
- Host a Fundraiser!
How old must you be to volunteer at an animal shelter?
Volunteers must be at least 16 years of age. If you’re younger than 16, there are other ways to support animals and AHS.
What is volunteering at an animal shelter like?
Shelters need volunteers to clean cages, fill water or food bowls, provide company to the animals, walk the dogs, play with the cats, do training and socialization, and more. Some shelters have educational programs to teach children about animals and help them get involved in animal care, so educators are needed, too.
Can an 8 year old volunteer at an animal shelter?
Some shelters accept volunteers of middle-school age or older, and some hold out for high-school kids. There may also be exceptions for younger children if parents work alongside them, so this could be a good experience for you both.
How can I help animals in New York?
If you’d like to foster an animal, we suggest you contact Animal Care Centers of NYC, City Critters, KittyKind, or another animal shelter or rescue group. You can also find out about foster opportunities through Foster Dogs and 911fosterpets. Learn more about fostering an animal.
Can you volunteer at Petsmart?
We welcome all ages of volunteers at Petsmart. If you are under the age of 18 a parent needs to attend training and chaperone while you volunteer. With high numbers of animals at our shelter some folks aren’t comfortable volunteering.
How can I volunteer at an animal shelter?
Contact your local animal shelter or humane society. The organization may have a contact person or “volunteer coordinator” who can help you get involved at their facility. Visit a shelter’s website, and check for any information that is listed for volunteers.
How can kids get involved with animals?
10 Ways Kids Like You Can Help Animals in Shelters
- Educate your friends and family.
- Ask for birthday donations.
- Raise money for animals.
- Volunteer at your local animal shelter.
- Adopt animals from shelters.
- Set up a donation drive.
- Foster an animal.
- Speak up.
Do volunteers get paid?
At first glance, the simple difference between these two types of workers is that employees get paid and volunteers don’t. Yet many nonprofit leaders have discovered that there is more to distinguishing between employees and volunteers than whether an individual receives a regular paycheck.